Re: Topband: Re: SteppIR

To: "Martin" <dl1iaq@gdxf.de>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Re: SteppIR
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:08:31 -0500
Martin, et al...

The parasitic elements of the SteppIR are not grounded.  I have one in my shop
right now.  There is no electrical connection to the boom whatsoever.

Having used the SteppIR now for well over a year, I can tell you that the hat
produced by the SteppIR is most interesting.  My 3 el is mounted at 45' on a
grounded Rohn 25G tower, guyed with phyllistran guys.  A vacuum relay is
mounted at the thrust bearing plate.  The common of the relay is attached to
the bearing plate at the top.  Each leg of the relay is attached to a hat wire.
 One wire extends about 25-30 feet out.  The other extends out about 120 feet.
There are two shunts on the tower.  The 160M shunt attaches to the big grip on
one side and extends all the way to the base.  If memory serves me correct,
it's about 2' off the tower.  The second (80M) shunt extends out about 1' off
the tower and is mounted at about the 33' level.

Using the 160M shunt with the SteppIR at the 20M setting, I get a near perfect
SWR at 1.820.  QSY to 1.840 and I need to set the SteppIR at 17M setting to
maintain a SWR suitable for use without a tuner.  At 1860, the SteppIR must be
set to 15M or 12M to maintain SWR match.  At 1.890, the antenna is only usable
with a tuner.  At 1910, I cannot get a match even with the tuner.

My guess is that the feedline on the SteppIR runs through a grounded header at
the base of the tower, which electrically connects the driven elements of the
SteppIR to the tower.

The same effects are not visible on 80M.  I have no clue as to why.  An
extensive soapbox on the ARRL website shows pictures and a further description
of the system.

http://www.arrl.org/members-only/contests/results/2002/160-Meters/sb.html

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com