Re: Topband: 259B

To: Clive GM3POI <gm3poi2@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 259B
From: Paul Higginson <paul@greenrover.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:13:00 +0100
In message <006201c42094$69d93df0$0c887ad5@usero2cu908sdx>, Clive GM3POI <gm3poi2@btinternet.com> writes
Has any one come across the problem of a 259B showing on switch on
0.000mhz for frequency and is the same on all bands. Is there any form of
master reset that I can try?. 73 Clive GM3POI

I haven't seen a reply via the group so here goes....

Usually the reason for the display not reading ANY frequency is that there isn't one to read. ( confirm the unit still works as a counter by sniffing a bit of RF into the counter input )

There are several causes, the diagrams and calibration guide is available on the net.

http://www.cqham.ru/ftp2/mfj259-cal.pdf

A quick google will find the schematic, if you can't find it, let me know I'll email a copy of mine.

If you are correct and the display reads zero at ALL settings of the bandswitch and variable capacitor setting the oscillator has most likely failed.

Usually when it's a catastrophic failure it's caused by a couple of things.

The small voltage regulator damaged by supply spike

the final amplifier fails as a result of reverse polarity from an external power source but the symptoms are slightly different ( erratic reading of frequency and VSWR reading drastically inaccurate )

I do have one here with a faulty smt osc transistor, which is IME uncommon.

If you haven't checked, or you missed the following clue, you might find that the oscillator runs at some frequencies but not others ( hence reads 00000 at certain dial settings )

This is often due to damage or contamination between the capacitor plates.

If no one has randomly twiddled... this is NEVER due to misalignment. Fix the fault, don't twiddle the cores / pots till it's working.

Follow the calibration procedure carefully and use good quality resistors and phasing lines to set it up and it will be a doddle.

Regards
--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI        |If you are not the intended recipient of this
http://www.gw8izr.com           | email - it probably makes no sense at all!

---

Scanned for nasties by an up to date Norton. If I send you an attachment you
will be expecting it! If something arrives that you don't expect - take care!