Topband: RE: PSK on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RE: PSK on 160
From: "Dick McNutt" <dmcnutt3@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:46:43 -0400
There is really no difference in the relative number of poor PSK signals
compared to SSB or Cw...
witness the recent contests on 160...the important issue is that a PSK or
any of the soundcard modes
can be made as clean as any other with proper setup and filter selection.
We have been running PSK
on 160 for three years now and while it is not as effective as cw with a
high quality operator, it is extremely
effective for what it was designed.  On long contacts (1000 miles plus) I
typically run about 400 watts
with no problems.  I have tested up to 800 watts with some amateur/engineer
friends and the signal
was clean on the analyzer...and they were within 50 miles of my station.
With due diligence it can be done
and done correctly. Dick W4NTG