[TowerTalk] Breakall 160M antenna

To: topband@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Breakall 160M antenna
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:41:58 -0400
The antenna I was referring to was described at Dayton in 2003, and has been written up in at least one journal article. Unfortunately, I had a hard disk crash in March and have not recovered most files, and a quick Google search failed to turn up the paper. I think I recall finding it on line -- I believe it is a product of some consulting Breakall did for an AM broadcast antenna firm, presented at Dayton for the amateur audience.

The antenna is 4 short verticals, ~45 feet, with horizontal loading wires extending at 90-degree angles to make up the resonant length. The bottoms of each vertical are series fed through short lengths of coax which are paralleled at the common feedpoint. The result is a relatively compact antenna with performance apparently comparable to a 1/4 wave vertical, but with a very convenient feedpoint impedance (~50 ohms).

I'll be glad to share a NEC-2 file with anyone who's interested.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on June 5, 2004
2728 contest stations at