Re: Topband: New style 1.8MHz antenna

To: Tom Rauch <W8JI@contesting.com>, Ford Peterson <ford@cmgate.com>,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: New style 1.8MHz antenna
From: David Gilbert <rimradio@direcway.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:28:31 -0700
Tom, as you say, anyone can apply for a patent no matter how silly or
extravagant the claims, and I would certainly classify the entire EET
article as silly and extravagant.  The gushing prose and repeated references
to "new technology" are good clues that someone isn't being objective.

The patent office has no way to verify all the claims in a submission and
there is no burden on the claimant to submit proof that the claims are
valid, although that sometimes helps.  The patent courts are saturated with
cases that try to resolve conflicting or inappropriate claims in granted
patents.

I searched the WM7D database and it turns out that Robert Vincent in Rhode
Island is K1DFT, who curiously enough is ARRL Technical Coordinator for the
Rhode Island section according to his bio in QRZ.com.

73, Dave  AB7E