RE: Topband: Switch for 160 meter antenna

To: "Dick and Adele Bingham" <binghamstehekin@starband.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Switch for 160 meter antenna
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:21:55 -0700
I believe I have considered nearly every one of the
ideas presented below (except the hardwood boiled
in paraffin :-)  I even started to build some
of the solutions, but ran into various roadblocks.
What I eventually decided on is a nylon threaded rod
driven by a screwdriver motor.  A movable armature with
female threads moves along the threaded rod and
holds spring loaded gold plated pogo pins that slide on
a gold plated PC board, metallized only near the top.
The PC board gold area is connected to the upper antenna element.
The armature is connected to the lower antenna element
by a wire that hangs down.  Limit switches are used at the
top and bottom to stop the motor.  Due to the sliding
contacts, there is some tolerance as to where the
motor stops at the top.  This system allows me to get
a 1 foot conductor free gap when the switch is open.  This
greatly reduces coupling capacitance in the off state.

I am slowly getting this system together as time permits.

Rick N6RK