Topband: Repairing beverage coax lead-in

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Repairing beverage coax lead-in
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:58:56 +0000

As I get ready to extend my beverage back to 900 ft when the crops are in, I notice some damage to the RG6 lead-in that goes from the transformer at the end of the antenna to the receiver in the shack. The run of cable is about 600 ft, and I prefer not to replace it. Last season I just let it lie on the ground on the back side of my property where I thought it would remain undisturbed, but evidently it was attacked both by animals and vandals.

I notice several sets of tooth marks that have penetrated the vinyl jacket, and a couple of diagonal slashes that have cut through jacket, shield, foam insulation all way down to expose the centre conductor, without actually damaging the wire itself. I attribute the tooth marks to a stray dog or other animal, but the diagonal cuts must have been made with a knife or other sharp object, because I don't think an animal would have made such a straight, clean cut. No clue why anyone would slash the wire in that fashion and not do any more damage to anything else.

I have thought of either wrapping the damaged areas with self-vulcanising rubber electrical tape or using "coax-seal", then wrapping that with vinyl tape. Anyone with experience on which of these would work better? This year I plan to construct temporary supports to get the wire off the ground, even though the pesky giant rats that roam the property (white-tail deer) will probably do damage to that setup. Any thoughts on the best repair for the RG-6? It worked throughout the season last year, and I didn't notice any degradation in performance near the end of the season due to the cuts and pierces, but I don't to put it back out in the weather again this year with unrepaired holes in the protective jacket.

Don K4KYV