Topband: Radiolocation gone for good this time?

To: Thomas.Damboldt@t-online.de, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Radiolocation gone for good this time?
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:35:29 +0000

I have noticed for several weeks now that there has been no sign of the strang radiolocation beacon that has resided for years in the vicinity of 1950 kHz. Originally it was on approximately 1953.2, then about a year ago moved slightly down in frequency to approximately 1947 khz. I noticed it missing in the early part of the summer, and it is still not there.

With it gone, there are no longer any significant radiolocation stations in the 1900-2000 kHz segment where radiolocation is the primary service and amateur radio second. Originally, the radiolocation industry had plans to eventually push amateurs out of the segment as the radiolocation industry expanded, but with the advent of GPS, radiolocation may about be relegated to the dustbin of radio history.

The FCC reallocated 1900-2000 as primary radiolocation back in the early 80's in order to "reaccomodate" the 1600-1700 kHz beacons that were about to displaced by the expanded AM broadcast band. As it turned out, the radiolocation beacons on 160 came and went, mostly already gone by the time the first BC stations began to show up in the expanded band.

Don K4KYV