Re: Topband: old pattern repeated this cycle

To: w7dddd@msn.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: old pattern repeated this cycle
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 17:09:35 -0700
Regarding Don, W7DD's observations, I remember that Stew, W1BB also felt
that 160m propagation was influenced by the phase of the moon (peaking at
the time of full moon), but I've never been able to correlate the two.

The best night (by far) I have ever experienced for
California-to-Europe/Mideast 160m propagation was on 28 December 1997
during the Stew Perry contest, when the path was wide open from well
before my sunset to well after Eu sunrise.  That was while the moon was
in its new phase and was below the horizon during the night!

Keep in mind that the amount of time that the sun rotates on its axis and
the length of time between full moons are close to the same, which might
also explain why condx seem to repeat at those intervals.

73, de Earl, K6SE