Topband: Inv. L question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Inv. L question
From: Ron Feutz <feutz@wctc.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:39:41 -0500
Topbanders,

Thanks to all who responded to my last query regarding the bi-directional Beverage for our upcoming CQWW CW op. from J7.

Now for the TX side. I plan on a resonant inverted L, which will have ~ 50' vertical, # and length of radials to be determined. Previous ops. there used 4 - 1/4 ^ radials, about 5' up. The available space is covered with 5' high brush, and the radials lay on top of it. My plan is to add as many radials as possible. Since the brush is home to lots of critters with more than 4 legs, many of whom want to know how you taste, I'm not sure how many radials that will end up being.

There have recently been some articles on the ideal number/length of radials for a particular total length of radial wire. I believe these apply to on-ground systems. Do they apply equally well to slightly elevated systems? Is it worth following some formula, or just go with "as many as you can manage" conventional wisdom?

Feed will be about 300' of RG-8. I'll try to get it on the ground, but some will have to be on top of that brush. I plan to use an Amidon 2:1 UnUn at the feed point. Should I use a choke as well? After reviewing the literature, I would use a 50' length of RG8X wound on 4" PVC, at the feed point (in front of the UnUn). Does this sound right?

Again, tnx for the advice.

73,

Ron - WA9IRV

Ron Feutz, WA9IRV
Air Communications of Central Wisconsin, Inc.
715-424-3050 days
715-423-7662 nights
715-572-3621 cell