Topband: That Night and Morning !

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: That Night and Morning !
From: "GU4YOX" <gu4yox@cwgsy.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:02:56 +0100
Dear All

Following on from Tree's comments (N6TR/7) regarding the opening on the
night / morning of 26/27 October, I thought that I ought to add my own
observations on such an outstanding experience for me on 160M.

The weather forecast in GU had been pretty bad for the 27th and in fact all
sea travel had been cancelled the day before as high wind speeds had been
predicted for the Wednesday morning onwards. So I got up at 0530z and did
all the usual pre-school run chores around the house, had some breakfast
took some tea to the XYL and peeped outside. The wind was building and the
tower was up at a modest 50' where my 160M Inverted L was strapped to.
Shall I go out and drop it now ? No, I'll enjoy my mug of tea and then go
out. Switched the radios on and checked 160M. the K was up at 1.5 or so and
the A I think was 3. Nothing extraordinary here then. Tuning around there
were some DL's calling for DX but nothing out of the ordinary and I happened
to here someone on 33.5 calling CQ. Is that really a K7 ? No...yes, indeed
it was K7QQ calling CQ DX. Wow, not sure where he could be, I called a
couple of times before we made it WA WA ! My first West Coast on topband,
amazing. But hang on, I here in the noise N6TR/7 calling wow, that's Tree.
Another good contact. I'm so excited now that I get a string of TX's and
further west US calling me. No other EU's seem to be joining in. OK. But
then I hear a K5 something, no,K5B ...deep QSB, No. This was a KH6 !! ( I've
never even heard a KH6 on 160M let alone be called by one) KH6AT was calling
me ! It took a couple of shots but we made it. Probably the most difficult
shot from here. By now my tea has gone cold and I'm calling for more
DX..Yes, another KH6 calls in, KH6ZM makes it into the log !!!!!! After
subsequent e-mails it appears that I've worked all the KH6's active on 160M,
this season. The far west US keep calling, with only a few East coasters and
VE's calling in sporadically. I'm left absolutely shocked.

This is by far the best opening I've experienced on160M and one I'll never
forget. But why did it happen ? I do not understand the mechanics of this
memorable day. By now I was late for work and had to rush out to drop the
tower. 70mph winds hit the island that day and only today are we back up to
normal operational antenna height, dabbling in CQWW phone.

A great day, I'll never forget. For those that could here me and didn't
work, sorry, I really tried my best.

Long live the Beverage and 160M

73 all, hope to see you later in the season...

Bob

GU4YOX

(KG6WLP)

www.fsdxa.com/3b9c