Re: Topband: BCS Clone 80m trap problem

To: "Missouri Guy, N0TT" <n0tt1@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BCS Clone 80m trap problem
From: dj2ya@t-online.de (Ulrich Weiss)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:19:09 +0100
hello Charlie,

following Tom's advice about the inefficiency of coax-traps I built a
conventional 80m trap using a Russian 50 pF capacitor (door knob type) and
resonated it with an air-wound coil below 3.5 Mhz (just as you) for my
version of the BCS... the trap is housed in a plastic box at the top of a
17m aluminium mast of 70 mm OD with insulated guying...
80m resonance can be varied between 3.5 and 3.8 Mhz by changing the angle
between a short L-wire (about 2m attached just below the trap) and the
mast... this can be done by moving the anchor point of the guy-wire to the
L-wire  towards or away from the mast...
160m resonance is achieved by 2 sloping T-wires of about 15m attached above
the trap...
it was actually an experimental set-up... but it worked so well that I
haven't yet bothered to build the final version (with a 40m trap)...
meanwhile it has survived three WWDX contest seasons in the HP category...
fed by a homebrew 2:1 unun against a ground system of about 20 (more to
come) buried  radials it shows a good match (< 2) in a BW of about 40 khz on
160m and about 100 khz on 80...
I'd just replace your coax-trap by a conventional one with adequate
components in a weather-proof housing...

good luck

Uli, DJ2YA