RE: Topband: Receivers

To: "'Tom Rauch'" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"'w9ge'" <finger@goeaston.net>, "'JT Croteau'" <jt@w6cfo.net>
Subject: RE: Topband: Receivers
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:07:30 -0500

> > The r4c is a terrific receiver IF it has the sherwood 600
> > hz roofing filter(still available from Bob Sherwood I think),
> > and/or the GUF-1 filter (still available from International
> > radio) and certain other mods dependant on serial number.
>
> The GUF1 won't help the R4C a bit for CW. It is too wide. It
> barely makes a difference on SSB. IMO the GUF1 is not worth
> bothering with.

The GUF-1 was an 8 Pole - 6 KHz filter and provided a useful
improvement on SSB without resorting to separate USB/LSB filters
in the R4C first IF.

FoxTango (the predecessor of International Radio Service Division
and INRAD) produced a GUF-2 that was an 6 pole 600 Hz PC board
mounted filter with relays for switching between filters.  As
expected, the GUF-2 provided the same performance improvement as
the Sherwood 600 Hz filter.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that George has kept the GUF-2 in
the product line at INRAD.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK