Re: Topband: Computer RFI

To: Steve Lawrence <smlx@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Computer RFI
From: John Bastin <jbastin@sssnet.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:03:12 -0500
On Nov 21, 2004, at 2:34 PM, Steve Lawrence wrote:

I use a Mac G4 in the shack and run close to the legal limit on 160. I occasionally had a problem where the RF level caused the computer to display a "shut down and restart" message. That was cured by powering the computer from a separate AC circuit.

I now notice that when I TX only on 1824.6 +/- 100Hz, the monitor's display touch button glows and the display control panel appears. Operationally, it's nothing more than a nuisance.

Anyone one have any insight?

73, Steve WB6RSE

I researched the Apple Knowledge Base on this subject, and found that the only solutions they suggest with RF interference problems involve things in the nature of moving the display to another location. Not a suitable solution when the purpose of using the display involves working with the radio.

You might try ferrite cores on the cables, or shielding them in aluminum foil. On the other hand, if it only happens on that one frequency, I would probably just ignore it, as you could spend a LOT of time trying to get rid of it.

You could also bug Apple Tech Support, and see if they have any answers. If the computer and monitor are out of warranty (thereby requiring you to PAY for answers), e-mail me the monitor specifics (model, serial number, OS version you're using) and I'll see what I can find out (I work for an Apple reseller, and deal with Apple a lot).

Hope his helps.

73,
John E Bastin, K8AJS
jbastin@sssnet.com