Topband: Re: Coax capacitor losses

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Coax capacitor losses
From: John Kaufmann <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:42:15 -0500
Let me update my earlier post about losses in coax lines, where I cautioned
people about using them as reactance elements (capacitors or inductors).  If
you are familiar with the Smith Chart, you can calculate the loss resistance in
a section of line, based on its length and its loss specs (dB/ft or dB/m).
Then you can determine whether or not you will have a problem in your
application.

There is a section in the ARRL Antenna Handbook entitled "Line-Loss
Considerations with the Smith Chart".  In my copy of the Handbook (17th
edition, 1994) it's on page 28-6.  It may be different (or perhaps not even
present) in newer or older Handbooks.  It describes how to do Smith Chart
calculations taking line loss into account.  If you follow this, you can see
that lossy coax used as a capacitor (or inductor) will always produce a series
resistance along with the desired reactance.  The amount of resistance may or
may not be significant, depending upon the application.  Low-loss coax, like
large-diameter hardline, is best while the RG-58 and RG-59 types of lines are
worst.  Antennas with low feedpoint resistance are the most sensitive to
resistive loss (just like ground loss in verticals).

In general, the coax line loss is greater when the line is longer (up to 1/4
wave or more) and when the reactance being created ends up on the right half of
the Smith Chart.  It's worst when the reactance is near the 3 o'clock position
on the chart.

The measurements I've done on coax line loss resistance (using my General Radio
R-X bridge) agree quite well with the predictions from the Smith Chart.  In
general, though, you'll need a pretty accurate instrument to measure the
resistance because it tends to fall in an impedance range where the commonly
used antenna analyzers are less accurate.

73, John W1FV