Re: Topband: Coax capacitor losses

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Coax capacitor losses
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:12:32 -0500
> I transmitted with full power (1500W) for several minutes
on 1805.15 -
> key down (yes, that was me at 04:10 UTC).

> Therefore, I think it is safe to conclude that the power
lost in a
> coaxial capacitor due to whatever losses there might be is
pretty
> minimal and will not have a significant impact on your
transmitted
> signal strength.

Not actually. The conclusion does not fit the test.

The only thing that test indicated was it is safe to assume
the capacitor you have can dissipate the power it was
dissipating  in YOUR installation without getting warm to
the touch.

It certainly does not mean it is a good capacitor,
especially in other applications. Stubs are about the lowest
quality capacitor you can use (PC board and window-glass
caps are two others). There are many systems where very poor
components will not fail, but it doesn't mean the component
is good or low loss in other systems.