Re: Topband: Noise blanker fun

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise blanker fun
From: "Bob Tellefsen" <n6wg@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:16:08 -0800
Hi Tree
Here's something you might try in your noise blanker experiments.
When I worked at Motorola, I noticed that the receivers with blankers
had some extra delay time built into the signal path.  This gave the
blanking circuit time to work and get a blanking pulse to the gate
before the noise burst reached it.  Since you are using a second
receiver as the noise detector/blanking pulse generator, you could
do a bit of delaying in the front of the receiving receiver.  Put a
3 or 4 pole bandpass filter in the receiver input line.  This just
might provide enough delay relative to the noise input to the
blanker receiver.  Certainly a simple experiment.
Good luck, 73 and Merry Christmas.
Bob N6WG