Re: Topband: buried radial problems.

To: "Topband@Contesting. Com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: buried radial problems.
From: "Enzo" <ik3swb@tiscali.it>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:14:10 +0100
Hi Bob,

> Someone has already said, but it does bear repeating:  when using
> elevated radials, they have to be part of the resonant system, and
> you will need radials cut for 160, 80, 40 or some system to bring
> them into resonance...
Actually I put up the two elevated just for testing and to discover why the
first system didn't work, they were only for 160m (abt. 40m lenght each) but
mounted at 2.5m from the soil, too close to it as ON4UN's book suggestion.
Now I've disconnected them following both what K2AV wrote and ... my wife's
aesthetic criticism (!)
Anyway now the system is working. Next step is to improve the antenna
radiation efficency on 160 by inserting a capacitance between the matching
unit's coil and the ground.

73 de Enzo!