Topband: The N2XE Beacon Tribune and Editorial

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: The N2XE Beacon Tribune and Editorial
From: John C Ceccherelli <cecchere@us.ibm.com>(by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 08:45:24 -0500

From the Editor:

I guess it's time to clearly articulate the goals and purpose of the N2XE
Beacon Project.  In a sentence, have some fun and see how much can be done
with so little.  A game of limbo, so to speak--how low can you go.  Over
the past few weeks, this little beacon of mine has gained some attention.
Based on the reports I receive, I would guess there are about fifty Hams
tuning in and listening on any given evening.  A good percentage of them
take a piece of their valuable time and send a report.  I'm grateful and
appreciative!

But all those Hams add a sense of seriousness to this Project and its
operator--me.  Contrary to what you may have read, this takes some effort.
I do have a day job so I get a up a little earlier now.  I summarize the
previous night's results then run off to the salt mine.  I run back here at
lunch to calibrate and set-up the equipment for the next run.  Once it
starts, I'm committed to be at the control point per FCC rules.  The Lazy
Boy in the shack is getting some quality time.

I want to know where the threshold is--how far can I launch a microwatt and
have someone receive it.  What I don't want is a flood of 599 reports.
Based on the mail I get, neither does the majority of participants.  But,
as a by-product of dropping power, a lot of stations capable of receiving
the signal drops off as well.  We're left with the cream of the crop.  I'm
sorry if that offends some but it's the truth. At the same time, I want it
to be a fun exercise and it's not fun when you don't hear it.  That's why I
toss in some "calibration" runs here and there.

In my humble opinion, you can send me a note and bitch about it but then I
have no respect for you--even less when you bitch publically and don't
address it with me first.  Or... you can do what some have done and improve
your station.  There's a guy out there among you who cleared a 1000 foot
path through the woods to put up a Beverage.  That, I respect.  Others have
tweaked their stations, replaced some bad connections and, in general,
improved things.

On the rare occasion when someone does something that really catches my
attention, I'll promote it to the hilt and why not? I enjoy this but it's
just a lil' beacon and Amateur Radio is just a hobby.  If you have some
constructive criticism or suggestions--send em' in!  If you're upset about
not being able to receive the signal--improve your station or wait for a
higher power run. If you're upset because I herald a notable achievement--I
couldn't give a rat's ass--do something worth heralding, grow up or both...
where's a freakin' rettysnitch when you need one?

That said,

I ran three power levels last night--3mW, code STORM; 2 watts, code WHINE;
5 watts, code WIMP.  When I cranked up the power, the reports flooded
in--19 in 30 minutes vs 14 all day for 3mW.  I'm going to make this
standard operating procedure.  Local sunset and sunrise here will be the
lower power and most of the evening will be a higher power level to extend
the range of the beacon somewhat.  That may change a bit depending on the
band I'm running that day.  The code words will be unique.

The following stations knew something was fishy and reported it as such:
VE3MGY, N1BUG, VE3CSK, W4ZV, AA4XX

Tom, W8JI captured the brass ring at 3mw and 811.3 miles.  I know Tom
doesn't like this but I can't resist doing the math--270,433 miles per
watt.  Tom now holds the 160 meter N2XE RX Distance prize.

3mW Reports - STORM

W2RU, BUD    NY    FN23    TS950SX/BEV
W1FV, JOHN    MA    FN42    ORION/BEV
K1KI, TOM    CT    FN32    1000MP/EDZ
W2VO, RON    NY    FN23    OMNI 6/BEV
K3UL, BOB    PA    FN11    746PRO/BEV
K1ZM, JEFF    NY    FN32    BEV
K1FZ, BRUCE    ME    FN54    FT990/BEV
N1BUG, PAUL    ME    FN55
W8JI, TOM    GA    EM73    1000D/BEV
K2BLC, LEE    NJ    FN20    OMNI 6/DIP
VE3MGY, BRIAN    ON    FN03    756/BEV
W4ZV, BILL      NC    EM95    ORION/BEV
N2WK, WAYNE    NY    FNO3    OMNI 6/SLOPER
AA1K, JON    DE    FM29    1000MP/BEV

2 W Reports - WHINE

KC3M, JACK    PA    FN11    ORION/ZEPP
KE9I,GERRALD    IN    ----    1000MP/BEV
W4ZV,BILL    NC    EMP5    ORION/BEV
N1BUG, PAUL    ME    FN55
WA2UUK, HARV    NY    FN12    1000D/INV L
W3NF, LLOYD    MD    FM19    TS870/INV L
VE3CSK, BILL  ON    EN93    756PRO/BEV
VE3FU, CHRIS    ON    FN15    TS950/BEV
VE3MGY, BRIAN    ON    FN03    756/BEV
W4OW, HAROLD, GA  EM71    1000D/BEV
AA4XX,PAUL    NC    FMO5    ARGOV/BEV
VE3ZI, ROGER    ON    EN96    765/BEV
K3JT, TERRY    WV    EM99    706/20M QUAD
K8IP, IKE    OH    EN90     1000D/INV L
K8EJ,  STEVE     TN    EM75    1000MP/BEV
NX4D, DOUG    FL    EL98    1000MP/LOOP
K8BHZ, BRIAN    MI    EN66    FT840/6-EL VERT
K9LA, CARL    IN    EN71    OMNI 6/VERT
N3NA, NICK    PA    FN20    756/LOOP

John Ceccherelli