RE: Topband: Re: S-meter

To: "Ian Keyser" <ian.keyser@btopenworld.com>, <ve3zi@rac.ca>,"Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Re: S-meter
From: "Jeff Maass" <jmaass@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:19:17 -0500

S-meters have little meaning when using receiving
antennas. The most copiable signals are often not
moving the needle (or bars) at all, but are R5.

Even when I listen on my transmit antenna, it has at
least 20 dB of attenuation inline to keep it's signal
level closer to the Beverages or flag/pennant antennas.

73,

Jeff Maass  K8ND