Topband: RE: [Elecraft] 160 m contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: RE: [Elecraft] 160 m contest
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:23:58 -0500
        I saw this on the Elecraft reflector and thought it
would be of interest.  Congrats to KT1V and VY2ZM for
excellent ears.  Contacts like these are ones to remember
and conditions will only improve over the next 2-3 years!

73, Bill W4ZV

WB3AAL wrote:
>Just worked YU7GMN on 7002.7 MHZ @ 01:30 UTC with 5 watts.

Welcome to the world of QRP! It is amazing what you can do. Over the
past two years with my K2 I have had over 10,000 QSOs, all at 5W CW,
and worked 198 DXCC countries (can't make that elusive 200..).

This weekend I had a bash in the CQ160 contest - 143 QSOs in 33
countries with my very modest 30 ft vertical (actually a modified
Butternut). Best was working KT1V, my first USA on Top Band on QRP,
my fourth QSO with VY2ZM, and a couple of CT9 stations in Madeira.
You certainly need patience on top band with QRP, but it can be done.

Keep at it, and you will also be amazed what you can work (even when
conditions are pretty flat like they are at the moment).

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com