RE: Topband: Re: Need antenna help on 160 and 80 meters ( new Dxer )

To: tom@klient.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Topband: Re: Need antenna help on 160 and 80 meters ( new Dxer )
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:48:09 -0600

The HF2V and HF9V are pretty much the same in the 80M and 160M design,

Any good vertical needs alot of radials, I have 40 of them 30 feet long, I've done well on 80M DX mostly using full leagal limit power when the bands are quite, 160M is a problem, the transmitted signal is not very strong even at full power and the noise is pretty strong.

A ewe type antenna for 80/160M is in order for receiving ( beverage/pennant/K9AY ), but with those be sure to set up some sort of detuning for the vertical while receiving ( short it out with a relay while receiving ).

I have use a 80/160M band extender to adjust the coil resonance remotely. Thus I'm able to move up and down the entire 80M and 160M bands. It helps alot for moving between voice and cw on 80M.

One thing that seems to help the transmitted signal on 160M is to add wires at the top. This changes the resonance of the 160M coil so some form of adjustment is necessary.

If you like I can show you plans for the 80/160M band extender or I can build on for you. E-mail me off the reflector if you wish.

Best 73's
Rich
K5SF