Fw: Topband: KP2ZZ in CQWW 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: Topband: KP2ZZ in CQWW 160
From: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:58:04 -0400
Rag LA5HE said:

"KP2ZZ had a very good signal both days here but appeared to hear nobody
 from  Europe at all. at least whenever I tuned him in or called.
 Was the noise extremely bad in the West- Indies this weekend ?
 VP2E had no problem hearing me."

 Rag,

 The operator of KP2ZZ was G4RCG at my station and he heard and worked more
 Europeans then I ever dreamed of working in a contest weekend. He never
 complained about QRN to me, however, I have 5 Beverage antennas and if he
 was running W' stations at the time you called it would have been
impossible
 to hear any EU statoins. John worked nearly 1100 QSO in 60 countries even
 Asiatic Russians, scores of low powered Eastern Europe, 5B4 and A61.
Believe
 me he was hearing well to the East but sometimes it is a matter of timing,
 spot propagation, and even luck. I  even watched the web spots report him
"deaf" while he was stringing
 Europeans.

 Last month I called T77C for two hours with no contact not even a QRZ and
he
 was always a true 579. I know it is frustrating but this is 160 meters
 especially after just getting first call replies and 599 from stations
 within 100 miles of the T77.  I called S9SS for a year before getting
 in his log but countries like 5N, TR8, V51, ZS and even 3B9 I have worked
on
 the first call.

 This is hard for me to explain since you are always one of the stronger
 stations from northern Europe at my QTH.

Herb, KV4FZ