Topband: HF2V question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: HF2V question
From: "DAVID CUTHBERT" <DAVIDNNAN@MSN.COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:00:41 -0700
I have questions about the Butternut HF-2V vertical. Perhaps some of you have
answers.

1) The 80 meter door knob capacitor is 250 pF? Or?
2) The 160 meter door knob capacitor is 300 pF? Or?
3) Dimensions of the coils? Looking at the manual it looks like 1 turn per inch
and 3 inch diameter.

My analysis looks good so far but I want to make it as accurate as possible.

I'm analyzing this antenna and I will send the results to any on the reflector
who want it. Interesting results so far. They do not use "lossy traps".
Instead, they use lossy "parallel resonant circuits." It is much like a trap
vertical, but rather than having traps to isolate sections they use parallel
resonant circuits at the base to allow multiband operation. Clever, I think. It
works but there is a big price to pay. Along with the analysis I will include
modifications to improve efficiency with the tradeoff being loss of automatic
band switching.

      Dave WX7G