Topband: K9AY Loop System

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY Loop System
From: "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 05:32:10 -0600
When something this good comes along, I feel obligated to pass it on to my fellow DX'ers.
I just installed the K9AY model AYL-4 loop system, and the AYL-M mast, wire, and hardware kit.
Gary has put together an extremely high quality piece of equipment. It can be assembled in an afternoon
by one person, and has a very small footprint for an array switchable in four directions.

I only have room for one Beverage here; it points at 80 degrees and works very well.
For the other directions, I have employed several forms of the "EWE" antennas with fair results. This has
created a kludge of wires, coax, switches, ground rods, and ropes running all over the yard. A real eyesore.
(not to mention the mowing problem)

The K9AY System requires only one 25 foot insulated support, and 21 feet horizontal distance in each of the
four desired directions from the support pole. (or tree,etc.) You can see all the specs. and tech info on Gary's
web site @ www.aytechnologies.com

Since I removed the old antennas one at a time, I was able to prove that this array out-performed all the others,
and gives my Beverage a run for its money also. In every case the s/n ratio was better, 20-30 db f/b, and the signals were
stronger than on the EWE's.. Since the band-pass filter and 15 db preamp are mounted in the control box and both are switchable
in and out, I also use it for the Beverage. All specs were checked out, and are as good or better than claimed.
It is a dandy expedition antenna; it can be enclosed in a 1 X 1 X 5 foot box.

This antenna is ideal for those of you with a 42 X 42 foot yard, and can be removed in minutes in the summer.
For those with small city lots, there is a chapter in ON4UN's book on how to detune your transmit antenna during receive
to help prevent pattern distortion on the loops.

I wish someone had told me about this antenna when it first came out! I am certain you will be as delighted as I
with your results.

I have no business relationship with K9AY, I just wanted to point you to a fantastic product.

160 has been really hot in Texas lately. It seems that it is the guys on the other end are not hearing as well
as we are Stateside.

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC