Re: Topband: Condx and more on 'growl' noise

To: paul@n1bug.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Condx and more on 'growl' noise
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:46:12 EST
Another major local QRM source Ive found after an extensive kitchen
remodeling are DC lights in the new, high tech pendants and under cabinet
fixtures. Who
would think DC would create this crud - and its VERY major - these are small
switching supplies - matchbox size, which connect to ac lines directly and
feed each pendant. The undercabs have a common switching supply.  The noise
from
the 2 pendants is about S9 and I can pick the crud up on my Kenwood F6 HT with
the 2 meter antenna from 1/4 mile away!  Until I go back into the fixtures to
filter the AC connections I simply make sure all of are off when Im in the
shack. My guess is one's neighbor's pendants and such are in the noise floor
too.