Topband: 9V1GO & first Beverage tests

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 9V1GO & first Beverage tests
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:26:42 -0500
Many thanks to Bob, 9V1GO for the QSO last evening.  Country
# 110 for this season and my first ever southeast Asia on
top band!  I've spent 23 years dreaming of making that QSO,
but never thought it would happen while I was still using
the inverted V.  My heart nearly stopped when I heard Bob
respond to my call and I didn't breathe during the whole
exchange!  There was a lot of QSB, but Bob's signal was
mostly readable for over 20 minutes and peaked up very
nicely just at the end of our exchange.  Wow.

I managed to get one of the new Beverages hooked up for
testing last night.  As expected, noise output from the
Beverage appears to be several dB below my receiver noise
floor.  It seems to hear well in favored directions, but I
couldn't tell if it was ever better than the inverted V.  I
will have to get the preamp built before I will know
whether the Beverage is a worthwhile antenna for me.  It is
this specific receiver, folks; I know preamps are not
*normally* required for one wavelength Beverages.

73,
Paul N1BUG