Topband: Conditions on Thursday night from W7-land

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Conditions on Thursday night from W7-land
From: Brian Moran <brianmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 06:50:07 -0800 (PST)
I'm a newcomer to 160m; last night was the first time
I've been able to HEAR continental EU stations, let
along work any stations from there!

First I heard SM5EDX varying from 599 to inaudible
over a cycle of a few minutes. I was able to work him
with 200w from here in the NW (I made a couple of
audio recordings subsequently, if anyone's
interested). Found & worked OH3XR, OH1NOR, then heard
OH9AR calling CQ around 1834-1835 but faded before
being able to even try to work him. VP2V/DL... working
"eu eu eu ONLY", and OH0RJ OK1RD LA0CX and PA0CLN were
calling him, clear as a bell. THink I heard SM7BIC?
too.  I can usually hear the Carribean stations pretty
well, but EU was overwhelming, only audible on the
vertical (maybe I'll go check my coax run to the 60
deg beverage). Also heard and called G3ZES. A couple
of times. With 1100 watts. He was vy loud here, but
wasn't able to make it. Ditto for GU4YOX -- Very loud.
 NL7Z was a local last night; also heard 9Y4DLH
working EU, worked P40W as well.

I was surprised not to hear more US folks on -- N6TR/7
was cq'ing and working a few above the window, W7AWA
was calling a number of stations, and found W7QC
calling people I couldn't hear very well.

It was nearly too exciting to turn everything off and
go to bed -- hope conditions are similar OR BETTER
this evening!

Brian N9ADG near SEATTLE, Washington