Topband: THANKS - Preamp power supply & other noise

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: THANKS - Preamp power supply & other noise
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 06:22:33 -0500
I got many replies on that one.  Thanks everyone!  I have
solved the problem by liberal use of RF filtering thoughout
the power supply.

To clarify what the problem was, whenever I used the preamp
I suddenly had what appeared to be noise from switching
power supplies on many frequencies where I have never
experienced it before.  During investigation I found
several volts of RF garbage on my AC mains!  Some of
this managed to get through the PS and into the preamp.
With added RF filtering I now have clean power to the
preamp and the noise is gone.

This was a separate issue from the constant switcher noise I
have at 1812-1820 kHz, though perhaps not completely
unrelated.  If I come up with any useful information on
that problem I will pass it along.

73,
Paul