Topband: Elevated vs Buried Radials analyzed

To: <topband@contesting.com>,"Larry Schimelpfenig" <k7sv@adelphia.net>
Subject: Topband: Elevated vs Buried Radials analyzed
From: "DAVID CUTHBERT" <DAVIDNNAN@MSN.COM>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 07:45:38 -0700
Larry,

I have analyzed the gull wing versus the level radial question using NEC-2.
NEC-2 shows essentially no difference- the gull wing configuration has 0.05 dB
more gain. Slightly lower ground losses with the radials at 10' combined with a
slightly lower radiation resistance don't yield any improvement. Of course
NEC-2 doesn't have absolute accuracy with this model. However, I suspect (I
have no "hard" evidence) that for a comparison of these two very similar
antennas the conclusion that there is no noticeable difference is valid.

Original question:
Rather in line with a question that was asked earlier, I'm trying to figure
out if I would gain anything by shortening the vertical so the base would be
at the same level as the  elevated radials, to eliminate the gull wing
effect.

   Dave WX7G