Re: Topband: Top-band Prop along grayline

To: herbs@vitelcom.net, w8ji@contesting.com, topband@contesting.com,btippett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Topband: Top-band Prop along grayline
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:22:21 -0800
Herb, KV4FZ wrote:

"But Earl and Tom......I am plotting out a path to VK6HD and we are
almost at antipodes. (Every path is a direct path would it not be for day
and night impacting and effecting the propagation.) Accordingly, would
there not be a multitude of path possibilities driven by gray line and
geomag skew?"
==========
Herb brings up another interesting aspect to the topic.  But I feel that
terms like "short", "long" and "skew" become meaningless in situations
where the path is at/near the antipodes.  I believe that Tom said the
same thing, although in different words.

The only times of the year that points at/near the antipodes share any
darkness is at/near the equinoxes and therefore the path must be
"grayline" over one pole or the other.  So, rather than a multitude of
possible paths on 160m, there are only two possible paths, i.e., over the
north pole and over the south.pole.

The path would be "grayline", but I would not call it "geomagnetic" nor
"skew".

73, de Earl, K6SE