Re: Topband: Top-band Prop along grayline

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Top-band Prop along grayline
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:11:15 -0400

Bill Tippett wrote:

>.......can certify all bearings were exactly 180.0 degrees.  And someone also
>needs to contact N6BT at Force 12 and have them strike the term "long
>path" from their website unless they are prepared to certify all QSO's
>were made at exactly 180.0 degrees:
>
>"Each 2 element parasitic array is aimed exactly at 210 degrees (true, not
>magnetic).  Thanks to perhaps the most knowledgeable person on this path,
>Bob, W6RJ for verifying this exact direction for the majority of long path
>openings."

I have worked VK6HD twice in the past two mornings as our SR and SS
coincide and would like to add this observation:

SP Bearing: 181.7 degrees
SP Distance: 11,448 miles
KV4 SR 1028Z
VK6 SS 1027
QSO From 1027-1031
Exchange 449/559

VK6HD was not audible either morning on 180 degree 1000 foot terminated
Beverage but was very good copy on my SW
220 degree 550 foot Beverage.  Ironically this is the same Beverage that
provides the only working JA RX antenna when there is hyper-extention of
the auroral oval. Of the nearly 100 JA QSO's this season the 220 degree
Beverage has resulted in the greatest productivity in JA QSO's on
topband.  What is the magic in the 210-220 degree path?  181 degrees
goes right through the auroral zone and 220 degrees just skirts it.
(Depending upon forecast acuracy) Is this the answer?

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ