Re: Topband: One Vertical vs. Another

To: "Chortek, Robert L" <rlc@berliner.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: One Vertical vs. Another
From: "Robert Tellefsen" <n6wg@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:58:19 -0800
Bob
My suggestion would be to remove about the bottom 10 to 15 feet of the
proposed vertical
and insert some insulated support.  This will place the feedpoint and the
radiating
portion of the vertical above most of the house wiring, chicken wire, etc.
The
extra bit of height won't hurt the gull wing radials either.

You will need a bit more loading inductance this way, unless you can add
some form
of capacity top loading.  Here I use a 50 ft wire vertical with a top
coil and 5 30 ft top loading wires.  Any amount of top loading will do more
for you
than an equivalent amount of bottom loading.

Good luck and 73
Bob N6WG