Topband: 5Z4DZ and a Memory

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 5Z4DZ and a Memory
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:35:36 +0100 (BST)
I could hear little bits and pieces from Alex last
night, but that was all. Still hoping.

When I operated as 5Z4LE back in 1968, it was
noticeable that the US sunset peak was very much
better than the Nairobi sunrise peak. W1BB and I had
skeds for several weeks at my sunrise with no success,
but worked with good signals on the very first time I
tried his sunset. Of course transmitting and receiving
antennas and systems are greatly improved since those
days, activity is dramatically greater, and I never
really considered the possibility of working beyond
Europe and the US East Coast, but the principle is
probably still valid.

A little memory of our 160 Pioneer and Gentleman:

Stew considerably helped me to get operational,
including sending me an 1827kHz crystal. He publicised
our skeds *in advance* in his 'Bull' - which he sent
free to all who were interested - including lowly G3s.
He was *genuinely* pleased for the W2 station who
actually made the first 5Z4/W QSO on 160m. He had this
quaint concept that the way you played the game was
more important than the result....

73 Roger
VE3ZI