Re: Topband: Alas, no joy in Texas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Alas, no joy in Texas
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:18:17 EST
In a message dated 3/30/2005 9:39:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, w5iz@yahoo.com
writes:
The FT5 boys did a fine job...but nary a peep on Top Band either path here
west of Dallas...any time during the expedition. Did manage them on 80
through 15...but 12 and 10 were impossible here too.

Best compliments to all those who snagged 'em.

73 de Al, W5IZ
I suppose this calls into play the "spotlight" propagation mode for 160 -
many around me heard them, often strong, and only twice was I able to hear them
-
very light too.  Is there are explanation for "spotlight" propagtion -
especially where stations less than 50 miles apart have such different signal
reception - can it be only the difference in the station's performance?