Topband: 80/160 inv. L

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 80/160 inv. L
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:11:10 -0400
This may or may not prove more sanitary than adding a trap
to a 160M L, to provide 80m coverage:

In VT, I had a dual band, elevated ground plane...the top
10' of which had to fold over, so it was sort-of an L.

The lower half of the antenna...67', was made from 450 TX
open wire line.  The feedpoint was elevated by 15', and
4 elevated radials were run out for each band, draped over
and through tree branches.

I brought the 160 resonance in by trimming the radials,
then trimmed one side of the OWL to resonance on 80.
It came in around 62.5', on the low end of the band.
To move the antenna from 80 to 75, I could have folded back the
radials, to shorten them...but it worked ok on cw, and I had
a full wave @ 120' that I could use on ssb, so I never tweaked it
after the initial installation.

Wish I had 130' high trees here in MD!

n2ea