Re: Topband: antenna question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: antenna question
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:07:52 +0000
W7DRA asked:

>i have the opportunity to operate from a tall condo building up 30 or so
>floors. my antenna options seem to me to be a wire slanting from the
>window down to the parking lot below. my idea is to run a half wave wire
>(probably wire wrap wire) and secure the end with 15# mono fish line to
>the outer edge of the parking lot. i will use the ubiquitous 160m
>modified HW16 with an antenna tuner, and the building neutral as a
>counter poise.
>
>any comments or suggestions would be appreciated

For 1992 CQ WW CW from VS6WO we did about the same thing -
half-wave wire from 22 floors up, run across street below, fed against
whatever was handy on the roof.

Since that means the copper straps used for tying lightning rods &
window frames together, a few chunks of wire thrown around would
probably be just as good, if not better, as splicing of the straps is
more of a mechanical than electrical thing in these parts (looks
are more important than function).  For a typical W7DRA/p
operation, another hunk of wire laid on the floor should be better
than working against the mains socket, IMHO.

73, VR2BrettGraham