Topband: Kure Atoll DXpedition 2005

To: "Topband Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Kure Atoll DXpedition 2005
From: "Garry Shapiro" <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 15:36:39 -0700
For those DXers who have somehow missed all previous announcements, the 2005
Kure Atoll DXpedition is about to launch. The callsign will be K7C.

An international team of 12 experienced DXpeditioners will sail from
Honolulu on September 15. We expect to arrive at Kure Atoll by boat around
September 23 and will be QRV until approximately October 6. We hope to
return to Honolulu on or about October 15. That means 17 days at sea and
about 12 days QRV.

We can put up six stations on the air between 160 and 6 meters, but solar
conditions will determine how many bands will be open at any given time.
Because the two operating positions will be widely separated, we anticipate
possible simultaneous operation of two stations on an open band. We have
dedicated positions for RTTY and 6m.

Our gear includes ICOM 756Pro III radios, ACOM 1010 amplifiers and an Alpha
99 for the low bands. High band antennas include four SteppIR 2 element
yagis, which will be mounted vertically near the salt water.

For the low bands, we have a Battle Creek Special and two Titanex V160E's.
Two BiggIR multiband verticals will provide additional capability on 40. We
will operate 160 CW only, and both CW and SSB on 80 and 40; because we have
five antennas capable of 40m operation, we will be able to operate 160, 80,
40 and 30 simultaneously, perhaps with multiple signals on 80 and 40,
dependent upon band conditions. Our final setup will not be determined until
our arrival.

We will be QRV on the low bands from before our sunset to after our sunrise,
daily. We will be particularly committed to finding and working European
openings. WE know it is a long shot on 160, but we will try nonetheless.
Please follow operator directions--if we ask North America or Japan to QRX
while we look for Europe or other areas, we will appreciate and expect your
compliance. Please provide that courtesy--we will try our best to log
everyone.

To enhance the DXpedition experience, we have developed DXA--a web
application that will provide almost real-time response to what is happening
on the air. Please see www.cordell.org/DXA and please log in to obtain full
benefit from this application.

Garry, NI6T