Topband: Remote Beverage

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Remote Beverage
From: "Jarda Semotan" <ok1rd@sxg.cz>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:06:22 +0200
you wrote:Anyone out there successful in using a remote beverage/beverages.What
method are you using to bring the signal back to the shack.Any Web Sites
dedicated to this?Tnx,Peter,NO2R

I am using instead of my home QTH a remote QTH cca 50km away from home one for
3 years already.I have used this remote QTH for 2 seasons for remote reception
only but now I am testing this one for complete remote operation. There is 80m
dipoles 4SQR with dipoles which are pendenting from outriggers 50m of height
vertically. The 50m telecommunication tower serves as vertical for 160m TX
antenna. But back to your question about remote RXing.
I installed on this dream QTH ( flat hilltop far away of QRM ) 12ve permanent (
whole year ) Beverages in stars configuration occupied 20ha of area. Some of
them are endfire, staggered e.t.c.but because are identified for 160m
operation, there are 356m long at least ( new aimed at K7C operation is 760m
long ). All the Beverages are terminated into one central point in which is
remote antenna switch connected via 300m long hardline and control cable in to
small technology house down to telecommunication tower legs. There is situated
all what is needed for remote control of the hilltop.
I had to pass through several remote control technologies ( packet,ISDN
line,Internet...) and software ( F6DEX,N8LP and others based on Windows ).
Nevertheless all these technologies were
instable and if one badly needed to use a remote QTH sometimes one failed. The
worst was that sometimes was needed to go there on site and back ( half of
meter of snow and so on ). Based on my experiences the most important is
software reliability and proper selection of hardware.
This fact was reason why I decided to let developed tailer made software based
on Linux. This program control via Internet all the devices there on remote
site ( TCVR,antennas switches, Beverages, UHF and VHF connections, PA ETO 91b,
keyer, etc. ). The voice is transferred via or UHF or VHF or VoIP links. Thanks
to 1Mb Inet connectivity the VoIP works fine, but there is small delay of
course.
I am aware nobody would give you detailed instruction how to build a remote QTH
but not for refusing to say but every one has his own conditions. What I can
say only that building a remote QTH is big assignment but as far as I am
concerned I cannot realize how to work last couple of tens of DXCC countries on
160mtrs and some on 80mtrs.
Let me tell you that building of well selected remote QTH will open you a new
DX world on low bands mainly. You should do it.
Good luck
                     Jarda, OK1RD