Topband: T vertical is up

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: T vertical is up
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:34:46 -0400
KK7UV wrote:

So, my choices are this point are:

1.  8 elevated radials, 8 to 10 feet above very poor ground

2.  20 to 30 on-the-ground radials (perhaps 8 to 12 of them buried) over
very poor ground.
         Steve, I might opt for #1, but it's probably
close to a wash and whichever is easier for you
to do.  From Colorado, I used a vertical GP with
~20 elevated radials only 2-3' above ground.  I
had no choice because half of my radials were over
a garden plot which I needed to till each season.
I simply moved the radials to the side each year
at the beginning of May, and then moved them
back in September.  My system worked fairly well
for DX-ing (DXCC 238 when I left Colorado in
1993) and contests (won CQ 160 CW - USA Zone 4
many times including several Top 10 USA finishes).

         Since your radial height is much higher than
mine was, I suspect the systems might be equivalent
even though you're using fewer radials.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV