Topband: Tuning a 1/2 Wave Vertical for 40 Mtrs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Tuning a 1/2 Wave Vertical for 40 Mtrs
From: "Chortek, Robert L" <rlc@berliner.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:14:31 -0700
Fellow Topbanders:

I built a full size 1/4 wave vertical for 80 meters of telescoping
aluminum tubing, which I also use as a 5/8 wave on 30 meters and on 160
with base loading, all with remote switching through relays.   Despite
considerable effort, I cannot get the thing to work on 40 meters now,
although it should work with some amount of additional inductance.  In
fact, I had it working perfectly last week on 40 but now it simply won't
work on 40 (at the same setting that worked before and with no apparent
change in the inductance that got it to work at 7.00 MHz) and I am at a
loss to figure out why.   The closest I can get it is 7.6 MHz, but no
lower.  No amount of fiddling has made any difference.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

73, de Bob/AA6VB

Robert Chortek
Berliner Cohen
Ten Almaden Boulevard, Eleventh Floor
San Jose, CA 95113
ph.: 408-286-5800
fax: 408-998-5388
e-mail: robert.chortek@berliner.com

This electronic mail message and any attachments are intended only for
the use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that
is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail
message in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this message or by telephone. Thank you.