Topband: QRM from Asia

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: QRM from Asia
From: "R March" <n7ua@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 07:03:32 -0700
Has anyone been hearing data like broadband noise from Asia from about
10:00Z through West Coast SR, 14:00Z?   Here it covers the 160 meter band
and is usually 2 or  3 s units above the normal noise floor. At SR it fades
away, just like the DX. It has been on every morning here for several weeks.
At first I thought it was yet another neighbor's dirty device the FCC has
allowed to radiate on the bands.  But attempts to locate it have failed.  I
began to find out that other hams in the area could hear it also.  In
addition, there has been a noticable lack of ham radio activity this year
from Asia.  VK6ABL and a JA told me they are bothered by over-the-horizon
radar and are trying to figure out which country is using it.  I wonder if
others have noticed this and if what I am hearing is actually local or not.
Thanks for any observations you may have.  Bob