Topband: AWESOME VK6 conditions/LP NA

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: AWESOME VK6 conditions/LP NA
From: Steve Ireland <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:46:24 +0800
G'day

Finally, it seems like the conditions everywhere are mirroring the bottom
of this sunspot cycle.

Inspired by the recent DX reports I read in the 160m reflector archive, I
got up half an hour before sunrise this morning.  Man, the band was smoking!

After a quick tune-across had revealed loads of European station, I called
CQ.  After working a couple of stations, the European pile-up became
massive and the 'S' meter was locked S9+.  The only time I have signal
levels like this was when operating from VY2ZM (where 160 does sound like
14MHz!).

At 2137, Paul N1BUG was in the log, actually peaking 579, on the LP.  Jack
VE1ZZ called at 2141Z and was peaking 599 on the 'S' meter!  The last 'LP'
signal was K1CP, worked at 2149Z, but a modest 449.

The band finally died out half an hour after my sunrise, which for these
latitudes is a VERY LONG TIME!  I2PWA was the last in the log.

For those on the east coast of America, if you want to work VK6 long path,
this the time to do it.  In the past I think Mike VK6HD has worked as far
as NY.  Let's see how far the envelope can be pushed...

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ