Re: Topband: Moonlight & K-sums

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Moonlight & K-sums
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:30:42 -0500
Earlier I wrote:

> What is interesting about October 17th has to do with what lore refers to as
> the "harvest moon."  It happens once per year that a full moon appears on the
> eastern horizon at the exact instance as the sun sets in the west.  I am told
> there was a partial eclipse of the moon that night too (for what it's worth).
>  On Monday night, I stood on my porch admiring the moon.  It had an almost
> halogen color to it.  The light was brilliant white and bright enough to read
> a newspaper at this rural QTH.

According to Wikipedia  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albedo), the
electromagnetic reflectivity of the moon is 12%.  I'm not sure what this has to
do with Topband, the high correlation of good topband propagation at this time
of year may be just a coincidence.  It may shed some (moon) light on the
propagation circuits we use.

Of course, it may have absolutely nothing to do with ionospheric effects due to
reflectivity.  It may have more to do with a moon, complete with a magnetic
field, and a sun, also with a magnetic field, interacting with the earth's
magnetic field in strange and wonderful ways when the moon is directly on the
opposite the sun.  I sat at my desk the other night, pondering my globe.  Tree
gives his regular "Boring" reports illustrating spectacular propagation
enhancements to EU.  A look at my globe illustrates a direct path between Tree
and EU that is almost precisely over the magnetic north pole.  I listen the
same nights from my QTH in Minnesota and hear nothing--zippo!  How can this be?

As others have often commented, it seems impossible for the reflectivity of the
moon to induce any sort of enhancement in the ionosphere at night.  I tend to
agree.  But what about the magnetic fields?  Could it be that in this "harvest
moon" configuration we see an alteration, or even cancellation of the magnetic
fields of the three heavenly bodies during the period of peak evening EU
propagation?  Something to ponder...

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com