Topband: 160m vs DSL modem

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m vs DSL modem
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:35:43 -0400
Fellow topbanders,

I know this is not a new subject but I would appreciate any
suggestions you may have. I did quite a bit of web searching before
posting here, but didn't come up with much. Please reply direct so
we don't clog up the reflector with this.

I knew DSL modems and 160m don't mix, but I am trying it anyway.
It's the only way I can have anything but dial-up. The problem, of
course, is that when I transmit on topband the modem loses sync. It
only takes 50 watts to do it. Not good.

Would winding several turns of the DSL and/or modem power cables on
a toroid potentially be helpful? I'm thinking common-mode
suppression here. Would 43 or 77 material be better? If this is
worth trying, I will order some cores Monday.

Any other thoughts?

I have considered going to shielded telephone wiring in my home, but
am not sure that would accomplish anything as I would still have the
100 foot long unshielded parallel-conductor drop from the pole to my
house, which is not far from my 160m antenna.

I have 768K DSL, so I assume it uses frequencies well below 1.8 MHz.
Is it possible to use a low pass filter on the DSL line to attenuate
1.8 MHz while letting DSL signals pass? I've never seen nor heard of
such a device...

Thanks,
Paul N1BUG