Re: Topband: Take-Off Angle Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Take-Off Angle Question
From: flood@ixi.net
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:52:10 -0600 (MDT)
W4EF wrote>
> Is there anyone out here on the west coast that was
> successful in hearing those Europeans through a lousy radio
> horizon (e.g. > +10 degrees) last night?>

Lousy horizon?  How about an 18 to 20 degree terrain mask to my NE to
Europe.  Just before and right through my sunset, I could hear many EU on
my low dipole and nothing on the vertical (but no joy).  So this must have
been high-angle stuff.

After sunset, EU was completely inaudible on the dipole, but I was able to
make out PA, LY, S5, OH, SM on the vertical right through 0500 (with heavy
QSB and no joy).  So this must have been relatively low-angle stuff that
manages to barely "sneak over" the huge mountain to my NE.  I am guessing
much of the signal strength is below that 20 degree angle?  Just a
thought.

Steve KK7UV