Topband: 1829.25 Carrier

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 1829.25 Carrier
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 08:31:49 -0500
W8JI wrote:

 >The 1829.25 kHz carrier signal is NOT related to the
parasitic problem of WAGL. We'll still have to figure that
one out.

         Guys, we are getting too many messages to the
reflector to the effect "I hear it".  That is NOT
new information.  What IS needed are specific
directional reports to help fix the location.  If
you just want to report that you hear it, please
post as BCI on packet (as these have done):

W8JI       1830.0 BCI         AM BC spur NE S9              2237 31 Oct 2005
W8JI       1800.0 BCI         anyone else hearing it?       2239 31 Oct 2005
K4CIA      1830.0 BCI         Loud in central NC            2241 31 Oct 2005
K8EJ       1829.9 BCI         also hrd in E. TN.            2242 31 Oct 2005
N3NA       1830.0 BCI         +10 to 15 Db                  2246 31 Oct 2005
G3ZES      1830.0 BCI         330 Deg                       2248 31 Oct 2005
NO8D       1829.6 BCI         Strongest NE of Ohio          2318 31 Oct 2005
W8JI       1829.0 BCI         S8 here NE                    1137 01 Nov 2005
AA1K       1829.1 CARRIER     S9 hr frm N...anyone hr?      1135 01 Nov 2005
WA5VGI     1829.0 BCI         S7 in CA                      1140 01 Nov 2005

The most northern report I've seen with directional
info is from AA1K who reported North from Delaware.

         What is needed are ***directional*** reports from
north of Delaware, like Maine, VE3, VY1 or VE1.  This
would help pin down whether it is from the US or not.

         Adding to the general confusion is the fact that
there were actually two carriers...one on 1830.0 (which
has now been identified by W8JI) and another on 1829.25.
What is needed now is ONLY info on the latter.

         I suggest posting all reports with directional
info on Packet as "BCI".  It would be good to listen
during daylight hours since anyone close to the source
would still have good copy on it.  The fact it appears
to be unmodulated and on an odd frequency (non-10 kHz
multiple) may make it difficult to identify.  It could
even be a ham's transmitter accidentally in tune mode.

         If you are able to actually identify it as BCI, I
suggest you send a report directly to W8JI since Tom
has had experience in dealing directly with BC stations.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV