Re: Topband: Slinky vs. Loading

To: Charles Bibb <zedkay@bellsouth.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Slinky vs. Loading
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 16:36:49 -0800 (PST)
--- Charles Bibb <zedkay@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> BTW, I temporarily jumpered all four of the loading
> coils to see how a
> plain, terminated 300-foot wire would perform. The
> short answer is NOT GOOD. It became almost
> omni-directional with very low
> F/B ratio.

Charles,

If you put the 300' wire ten feet in the air I can
understand the poor performance. Short "Beverages"
work best near the ground. When I was restricted to
less than 300', I experimented with various heights
above ground. I never once had a 10 foot high short
wire work. As I dropped them down, the performance
steadily increased until I got down to an inch or so
out of the dirt. Laying on top of the grass was best.
Try it.

If for some reason you can't bring yourself to do the
BOG, then try staggered end fire phased wires. You can
get a significant performance boost with as little as
8 foot of seperation and 50 feet of stagger distance.
Two half wave wires phased properly will work as good
as a full wave length wire. Even better if they are
close to the ground.

Good luck.

73,

Larry - W7IUV