Topband: Loading coil relay arcing

To: "160 reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Loading coil relay arcing
From: "Tom Boucher" <tom@telemetry.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:06:05 -0000
Folks

The answer  to this problem is to put the loading coil at the top of the
vertical, not the bottom, and you won't need to do any relay switching at all!
The coil looks like an RF choke on 80m and with top loading on 160, it should
work better than base loading.

You will need to do a fair amount of hauling up and down to get the thing
resonant on both frequencies and it will have to be a little longer than the
quoted 60'. This is a technique I've used many times and I first saw in QST
April 1961 by W4JRW.

73
Tom G3OLB