Re: Topband: K3EQ Vertical

To: "WS6X" <ws6x@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K3EQ Vertical
From: "Chortek, Robert L" <rlc@berliner.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:14:13 -0800
>>Any one built the Vertical for 160 through 30 meters that appeared in
>>September 1981 QST? It was designed by Wayne Sanford K3EQ (not listed
>>in
>>QRZ) with that call.

>>Bill

>>WA4FKI

My response:

This article is also in the ARRL book "Vertical Antenna Classics".

By the way, I built a version of this antenna this summer, but I
eliminated the top hat and made the radiator of tubular aluminum, 60
feet tall to make for a lower profile and keep my neighbors happy with
me. I used a different loading coil to increase the Q and put it on the
antenna, and not in the switch box.  The coil is air wound and has a 1:1
form factor, made of #3 solid copper wire spaced about 1/4" apart, and
is 8" in diameter. This is the very switch box I built and cannot get to
work without arching that has been the subject of discussion lately.

73,

Bob/AA6VB